2017 © eng: genocide-copyright
In January 2006, there was published a joint decision of Kyiv City State Administration, Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Ukraine and the Ministry of Construction, Architecture and Housing and utility companies to conduct a nationwide open competition of the design of the memorial complex to victims of famines ( an old name of the Memorial).
On 28 of November 2006 there was adopted the Law of Ukraine "On the Holodomor of 1932-1933 in Ukraine", which officially recognized the Holodomor in 1932-1933 as genocide of Ukrainian people and provided the construction of the Holodomors’ victims’ Memorial in Ukraine.
The National painter of Ukraine Anatoliy Gaydamaka is an author of the idea of memorial complex. Yuriy Kovalyov is the chief architect of the project, Mykola Obezyuk and Petro Drozdovskyi are sculptors. Citations in the alley "Black boards" were picked up by the National painter of Ukraine Mykola Syadristy.
The act of readiness to exploitation the building of the Memorial signed on 24 December 2009. Memorial commissioned on July 12, 2010.
Holodomor victims’ Memorial is the first stage and consists of several parts: two sculptures of angels, which is a symbolic entrance to the Memorial area, square "Millstones of destiny" surrounded by millstones. In the center of the square there is a sculpture of a girl which is called "Bitter memories of childhood". A monument "Candle of Memory" is surrounded by a complex of artistic compositions (storks, iron crosses, boulders, slabs engraved with the years of crime against the Ukrainian people). The Hall of memory is the central part of the Memorial and at the moment serves as the museum. "Blackboards alley " includes granite countertops with a list of localities which were under a special regime that exterminated population during the famine.
Since 2009 a new tradition in the Ukrainian society has been developed - every fourth Saturday in November there is honoring the memory of Holodomor victims. On this day Kyiv city residents and visitors, with the participation of leaders of the Ukrainian state, come to the memorial and light candles to commemorate the victims of genocide.
By Decree of the President of Ukraine on February 3, 2010 №98 the Memorial was incorporated in the State Protocol and Ceremonial of Ukraine. Heads of goverments and other senior officials arriving in Ukraine on a state visit, attend Holodomor victims Memorial.
On July 31, 2015 on the basis of the laws "On the Holodomor of 1932-1933 in Ukraine", "On conferment of legal entities and property of the names (aliases) individuals, anniversary and holiday dates, names and dates of historical events", "On culture", "On museums and Museum Affairs" and the support of the public, the museum was renamed as the National Museum "Holodomor victims Memorial" from the National Museum "Holodomors’ victims’ Memorial in Ukraine".
Today the National Museum "Holodomor victims Memorial" exists in the memorial form of "Candle of Memory", whereas the complete museum with proper infrastructure is still not built.